Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
The Splendid Table
- 6 slices soft white bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish generously with the torn bread.
- Combine the eggs, milk, melted butter, cheese, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Mix until combined. Stir in the broccoli and pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. For a chewier top, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking time.
This recipe reminded me of other strata recipes, but it used less liquid than most, I thought to very good effect. My low-fat adjustments were to use less butter and low-fat milk. I also added more broccoli, about 3 1/2 cups (12 ounces) of a thawed frozen broccoli package that I had on hand. Less milk meant the bread was soft in some places and crunchy in others. I cooked for 35 minutes then took off the aluminum foil and cooked another 5 (I prefer my eggs cooked well). Next time I would give it 10 minutes with the foil off, but the topping had a great texture as is! A perfect complete meal for vegetarians like us, thanks!