Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is different because it is a mustard based broccoli salad instead of mayo, which makes it great for picnics or bbqs. Can make up ahead of time and have chilling in fridge until ready to serve.
- 1 head broccoli, florets separated
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (could use any cheese you like -- blue, feta, swiss)
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can use less or up to 2 T)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, apples and cheese.
- In a small bowl, wisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss dressing with broccoli mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss with cashews and crumbled bacon upon serving.
I made this for a vegan pot luck and omitted the bacon and cheese. Without those ingredients, the predominant flavor was the vinegar and I think it will be much better with the bacon and cheese added. Thanks for a new twist on the same old broccoli salad.