I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and adapted it to include my favourite veggie, broccoli! You can also make this with asparagus. Butter lends a fantastic flavour to the recipe, so preferably, don't substitute it with any else. Although I've tried this only with water, using vegetable broth would add even more zing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter (Don't substitute)
- 2 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked basmati rice or 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice or 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth or 2 1/4 cups water (I use water)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb broccoli floret
- 1/2 cup cashews, halves, roasted
- 1Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 2Increase heat to medium, and stir in spaghetti, cooking until coated with the melted butter and lightly browned.
- 3Stir onion and garlic into the saucepan, and cook about 2 minutes, until tender.
- 4Stir in rice, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 5Pour in vegetable broth and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- 6Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- 7While the rice is cooking, place broccoli in a separate medium saucepan with enough water to cover.
- 8Bring to a boil, and cook until tender but firm; drain excess water.
- 9Mix broccoli and cashew halves into the rice mixture, and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Cashew Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.7
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 105.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: