Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rachael Ray - a 30 minute meal. An interesting lasagna copycat with bread! You can be creative and try other vegetables and cheese combinations.
- 1 loaf semolina bread, sliced 1 inch thick
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 large head broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 cups provolone cheese or 2 cups asiago cheese, shredded
- Preheat the broiler. Toast half of the bread slices at a time on a baking sheet. Rub both sides of the toast with the cut garlic and drizzle 1/2 cup olive oil over the slices.
- While the bread is cooking, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Uncover and boil until the liquid evaporates, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Layer half the bread in a 9 by 13 inch casserole; spread with half of the broccoli mixture and top with ricotta, a few ladles of the sauce and the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Layer the remaining bread slices, broccoli mixture, sauce and all of the provolone cheese on top.
- Bake until brown and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.