Recipe by Dee514
Broccoli bread is one of those "wing it" recipes I frequently make as an appetizer, or for picnics, etc., I use the same bread dough measurements and instructions that I use for my sausage bread (# 23872). The measurements for this broccoli filling are approximate. I do have a very good (imho) complete broccoli bread recipe posted (its # 42332), but my family prefers this filling.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed)
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay)
- 1⁄2 chopped onion, saute it with the garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash broccoli and drain well.
- Trim the broccoli (remove tough leaves) cut off stems.
- Peel stems and chop into small pieces.
- Cut head into small florets, set aside.
- Place oil and onions (if using) into a frying pan, and saute until clear.
- Add garlic, and cook about 1 minute more (do not let it brown).
- Add broccoli stems, salt& pepper and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, cover pan and cook over very low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add florets and cook a few minutes more, or until all is tender (stir gently so florets don't break).
- Drain excess liquid from broccoli and allow to cool.
- Place on dough (as in sausage bread recipe# 23872) and roll up.
- You may use smaller pieces of dough (say 4 x 6 inches) to make rolls instead of a loaf.