Recipe by TasteTester
This broccoli recipe makes an attractive presentation for a dinner party or holiday. The sauce also gives the broccoli a little extra touch of flavor that brightens this side dish.
Top Review by atlfitgirl
What a cute name for a great recipe! I prefer the "buttons" since they are so crunchy but love it all in this dish... I steamed mine for only 4 minutes to make sure they were not overcooked. I really liked the sauce, but it made twice as much as we needed... just wanted to dress the broccoli, not drown it! I will add more lemon juice next time since we like our broccoli tangy... and I did add in a pat of butter for a really luxurious feel/taste to the sauce... Thanks for posting!!!
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim leaves and tough ends from broccoli stalks. Cut broccoli into flowerets by removing each head to include a small piece of stem. Cut off the stem and peel it with a vegetable peeler, then cut crosswise into 1/8-inch pieces to make "buttons.".
- To steam broccoli, rinse flowerets and "buttons." Place steamer basket in large saucepan; add 1 inch of water. (Water should not touch bottom of basket.) Place "buttons" in steamer; top with flowerets and cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; steam 5-7 minutes until bright green and crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and cornstarch in small saucepan. Stir in chicken broth and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring constantly.
- Arrange "buttons" around edge of warm serving plate. Place flowerets in center. Drizzle with lemon juice sauce; season with pepper. Garnish with orange slices, if desired. Serve immediately.