Recipe by *Parsley*
A nice little (easy) side dish, especially if you like blue cheese.
Top Review by French Tart
What a fabulous and easy throw together casserole, with lOADS of flavour too! I halved the quantities, and we ate it for a light and yet VERY flavourful supper dish, with crusty home-made bread on the side! I also used low-fat cream cheese, and believe it or not, a low-fat spreadable blue cheese too - thus lowering the fat-content even more! Thanks for a great recipe - a keeper for us! FT:-)
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained of excess water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cracker, measure after crushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease/spray a casserole dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the finely chopped onions and saute until soft.
- Stir in flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add evaporated milk and cream cheese, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in bleu cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Stir the almonds.
- Stir the thawed, drained broccoli into the sauce.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish. Top with crushed crackers.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 - 25 minutes until hot and bubbly.