Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
My first experience ever with ethnic food was at an authentic Chinese restaurant. I was hooked! As a kid, broccoli beef was my favorite Chinese food dish. This recipe is in honor of my childhood favorite, but with a few more "authentic" elements. I am using Chinese broccoli (otherwise known as broccolini), which is more common in China. I am also adding sliced garlic and red bell pepper for some more layers of flavor. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean flavorful steak, such as New York strip, filet or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs sirloin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 lb chinese broccoli (a.k.a.- broccolini)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 brown onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 1 tbs water
- vegetable oil, for stir frying
- Slice meat into strips, which measure about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick. Place in a bowl and add the vinegar, sugar, soy, 1 TBS water and 1 tsp cornstarch. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large wok, heat 1 1/2 cups oil to high heat. When the oil starts to smoke, pour the meat into the smoking hot oil and allow to sear and caramelize for about a minute before touching it. After a minute or so, give it a stir to break it up and so that the meat can cook through, about another minute. Remove beef and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Remove remaining oil from the wok, and wipe down with a paper towel.
- Add 1 TBS vegetable oil, plus the garlic and onion, stir for about 1 minute or until fragrant, then add the vegetables and 1/4 cup water. Stir for a few seconds, then cover wok with aluminum foil so that the vegetables can steam (about 2 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce and 1 TBS water. Pour into wok, followed by the cornstarch and water mixture. Allow to bubble and thicken before stirring. Stir around to coat everything and serve hot (serving suggestion: with rice).