Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a delicious crunchy salad with kind of an Asian vibe. It makes a nice accompaniment for quiche or frittata, also great for picnics, pot lucks, & barbeques. Prep time does not include refrigerator time.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 teaspoon xanthan gum (See Note)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 lb fresh broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- Cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and crumble; set aside.
- Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, sesame oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, and Splenda together.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Toss the broccoli, onions, bell pepper, celery, sunflower seeds, and crumbled bacon together in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss to distribute evenly.
- Chill for several hours or until ready to serve.
- NOTE: Xanthan gum is a low-carb thickener that can be used as a substitute for flour or cornstarch in almost any recipe. It does not require cooking to work. I keep a shaker of it by the stove to thicken soups and gravies. I also use to to give a more bread- or cake-like texture to low-carb baked goods. It has a tendency to form lumps when added to liquids, so if you're using more than just a sprinkle or two it works better if you whisk it into a couple of tablespoons of cold water before you add it to your recipe. The brand I use is Authentic Foods (www.authenticfoods.com).