Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another of my daughter Andrea's recipes which she is allowing me to publish. For Thanksgiving, she decided to make a quiche just to be a little different. There may be other recipes out there that are similar but I promise that this recipe came out of her own imagination and a bit of discussion with me around the kitchen counter. Tell you what, this turned out great!
- 1 pie crust (Unbaked for a 9-inch or 10-inch pie plate)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (Shredded. Andrea used mild cheddar)
- 8 ounces powdered cheese sauce mix
- 1⁄4 cup white onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb bacon (chopped and cooked until almost crisp)
- 5 large eggs (Slightly beaten. Maybe 4 - some "large" eggs are larger than others)
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon greek basil
- salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Chop and steam broccoli for 5 minutes.
- 3. Cook the bacon and remove just before it becomes crisp, set aside. Save 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the frying pan.
- 4. Saute onions and garlic in the 2 tbs. of bacon grease until onions are soft and translucent.
- 5. Slightly grease the pie pan and place the pie crust inside. Crimp and flute the edge of the crust so it is above the rim of the pie pan.
- 6. Place pie pan on a large cookie sheet. Quiches are notorious for bubbling over and the cookie sheet will save you from having to scrape burned cheese off the bottom of your oven.
- 7. In a medium bowl, mix cheese sauce, half-and-half, beaten eggs, salt, pepper and herbs, set aside.
- 8. Spread the shredded cheddar on the bottom of the pie shell in a single layer.
- 9. Add the bacon on top of the cheese in a single layer.
- 10. Add the garlic and onion spreading it over the beacon as evenly as possible.
- 11. Layer the broccoli on top.
- 12. Pour the cheese/egg/milk mixture over the top until everything is well covered.
- 13. Bake in the oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 14. Let it cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and serve.