Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a delicious summer salad, however I make any time of the year. It is always a big hit with family, friends and at church functions. We love it. It is easily made as a lowfat version, using low fat cheese and low fat mayo, even can use Splenda instead of sugar. Serving size is 1/2 cup. I obtained this recipe from Pillsbury Simple Summer Recipes Cookbook in approximately 1990. This is my first post to Recipe Zaar. I really hope you enjoy it.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled and set aside. hint,bacon will cook faster and crispier if you cut it up i
- Mix up your dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Mix all the dry salad ingredients (not the bacon) in a large salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the other salad ingredients, mix well.
- Mix in the bacon just before serving the salad.
What an easy dish to throw together...hubby wasn't happy when he heard we were having raw broccoli...but...he loved it!...I was out of red onion so used sweet onion instead...otherwise made as posted...this is a keeper...it's great for the hot summer months...thanks for posting it! =)
This is a great salad. Lots of flavor. The only thing I changed was to use splenda for the sugar. Thanks Bobtail :) Made for PAC Spring 2012
Crunchy, cool , and tangy--I love it, and I normally don't care for broccoli. I've already had someone else ask me for the recipe!