Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the *Best Ever Chicken* Cookbook edited by Linda Fraser ---- There are many broccoli cheese soup recipes on RZ, but I could not find a single one using Stilton cheese & we love it. Per the intro, "A very easy, but rich soup -- Choose something simple to follow it, such as plainly roasted or grilled meat, poultry or fish." *Enjoy* !
- 340.19 g fresh broccoli (may sub frozen florets)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 leek (chopped)
- 1 small potato (cut in sml chunks)
- 591.47 ml chicken stock
- 295.73 ml milk
- 44.37 ml double cream (heavy cream)
- 113.39 g Stilton cheese (crumbled, may use the other British variety of Blue)
- salt and black pepper (to taste pref)
- Break broccoli into florets & roughly chop any tough stems. Set aside 2 sml florets for garnish.
- Melt butter in a lrg pan & cook the onion & leek till soft, but not caramelized. Add broccoli & potato, then pour in the stock. Cover & simmer for 15-20 min, till tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree the soup in a blender or food proc. (I will use my immersion blender for this). Return soup to the pan.
- Add milk + cream, season w/salt & pepper to taste pref & reheat gently. At the last moment, add Stilton cheese & stir soup till the cheese just melts. DO NOT BOIL.
- Cut reserved broccoli florets into thin slices. Ladle soup into warmed bowls & garnish w/sliced broccoli & freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
Easy to make and tasted fabulous
This soup is criminally good -- and I reckon someone stole two bowls of it. The recipe may say it serves four, but it only served hubby and me for lunch today! Anyone know where the missing soup is? Made as written.
omg, was this ever wonderful! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could! The Stilton gives the soup a richness that is fantastic. And the veggies just add to the whole body. Will definitely have this again. Thnx for posting another winner, twissis. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.