Recipe by twissis
From the *Best Ever Chicken* Cookbook edited by Linda Fraser ---- There are many broccoli cheese soup recipes on RZ, but I could not find a single one using Stilton cheese & we love it. Per the intro, "A very easy, but rich soup -- Choose something simple to follow it, such as plainly roasted or grilled meat, poultry or fish." *Enjoy* !
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli (may sub frozen florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 leek (chopped)
- 1 small potato (cut in sml chunks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons double cream (heavy cream)
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese (crumbled, may use the other British variety of Blue)
- salt and black pepper (to taste pref)
Directions See How It's Made
- Break broccoli into florets & roughly chop any tough stems. Set aside 2 sml florets for garnish.
- Melt butter in a lrg pan & cook the onion & leek till soft, but not caramelized. Add broccoli & potato, then pour in the stock. Cover & simmer for 15-20 min, till tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree the soup in a blender or food proc. (I will use my immersion blender for this). Return soup to the pan.
- Add milk + cream, season w/salt & pepper to taste pref & reheat gently. At the last moment, add Stilton cheese & stir soup till the cheese just melts. DO NOT BOIL.
- Cut reserved broccoli florets into thin slices. Ladle soup into warmed bowls & garnish w/sliced broccoli & freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.