Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A classic winner, even those who don't really like blue cheese or indeed broccoli are normally won over by this one. Use Danish blue or Gorgonzola or whatever you cheese you have in. Stilton works best though, so try to stick with that. For those who really despise blue cheese, I'm sure white Stilton would work well too. The bay leaf and lemon juice are not essential but I find they heighten the taste slightly
- Put the stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Separate the stem of broccoli from the tender florets.
- Chop as much of the stem as you can and boil for 2-3 minutes along with the onion before adding the florets.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes, put a lid on the pan but leave a gap.
- Remove from the heat, remove the bay leaf, add the cheese and blend until smooth using a hand or jug blender.
- Add the salt, pepper and lemon juice, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve with a nice bit of bread.
Loved, loved loved it!!! I did use the stilton cheese and maybe used a bit extra. ;) Even though the recipe has very little ingredients, it still beats the traditional broccoli cheese soups. My was super thick after pureeing, so I added just a 1/4 cup or so of skim milk. Yum! Thanx for sharing!
Made the soup for lunch today and it turned out great! It was very simple and quick to make. I used frozen broccoli and omitted the lemon juice. I loved the flavor but it was a little thin for my taste, but that might have been my fault for not measuring everything exactly. Next time I might add a potato or something for added thickness. Thanks robd for the great recipe!