Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
My husband asked me to make him something relatively mild for his stomach. He was coming off a cleans and didn't want to upset his stomach too much right off the bat. I thought soup should do the trick. He loved it. Hope you do as well. Note: I used Great Valley Rice Medley from Costco
- 236.59 ml rice, medley
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 large head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1892.72 ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice medley as per package directions until just done.
- About 30 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- In a large soup pot, on medium heat, melt butter with oil.
- Add carrot/onion and saute until onion is tender.
- Add garlic and saute until just fragrant.
- Add broccoli and also saute for 5 minutes.
- Add stock and rice with liquid.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is wonderful. I'd love it at any time of year but after all of the Christmas richness it's a double delight. I used a red rice medley that added a great touch of color as well as a lot of texture. There is a whole lot of eye appeal and taste to enjoy with this recipe.
As we have an onion allergy, we used a vegetable stock containing no onion and also did not add the extra garlic although it would be a welcome addition if on hand. This recipe was simple and worked well for a mild recipe on the tummy.
DD and DD liked this one. I did use homemade chicken stock (Betty Crocker Recipe) and it made more than stated. I may make this again.