Recipe by Laura911RN
Souped up, flavorful version of this popular casserole.
Top Review by Sharon in Ontario. Canada
This is very tasty and my DH and I agree it is a keeper! I used Asiago cheese in place of fontinella and used canned peppers which I rinsed well. This would also be great with tuna in place of chicken. mmmm
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup poblano chile, small dice (may substitute other mild to medium hot chili pepper)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut to bite size
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fontinella cheese, shredded (may substitute parmasean)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to package, using fat free chicken stock.
- Heat olive oil, over medium heat, in non stick skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes. Add red bell pepper, onion, green chili and mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Stir in garlic, broccoli, soup and milk.
- Mix cheeses together and reserve 1/4 cup.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup mixed cheeses. Stir in the cooked rice. Mix thoroughly and put into casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake for 30 min, in 350 degree oven.