Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in a Church cookbook years ago. It is always requested for family dinners. I like to use fresh broccoli but cooked frozen broccoli works fine. I sometimes add sliced water chestnuts. If you can't find Chickeny Mushroom soup, you can use either Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken soup.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups Minute Rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked fresh broccoli
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken mushroom soup
- corn flake crumbs
- Saute onions in butter.
- Add rice and brown with the onions about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and water and cover until water is absorbed.
- Mix rice, cooked broccoli, Cheez Whiz, and soup together and pour mixture into a large well greased casserole.
- Top with corn flake crumbs browned in a little butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
I don't care for broccoli and rice casserole, however my family does. So every once in a while I make it for them. I will not be making this recipe again. My family thought it was OK
My family enjoyed this. It was very easy. I don't use Minute Rice, so in two separate pots I cooked basmanti rice, and blanched the broccoli. I didn't have Cheez Whiz, but I had Mozzarella, which 'hubby' helped grat and mixed all together.
This is my husbands favorite side at Thanksgiving! I use regular rice (cooked beforehand) and it's always a hit!