Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (and tender stems)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or two)
- crushed red pepper flakes, a pinch
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 baked pie shell (9-inch)
- 1 cup grated provolone cheese (moderately sharp)
- Preheat oven to 375°; put broccoli in a steamer basket and steam over boiling water until tender, almost 4 minutes; remove the steamer basket from the saucepan; set aside.
- Combine the oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a big skillet; cook, stirring, over med-low heat until the garlic begins to sizzle.
- Add in the broccoli and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat; stir in the onion and sprinkle with the salt and a grinding of pepper.
- In a big bowl, whisk the eggs until light; stir in the half-and-half.
- Spoon the broccoli mixture evenly into the pie shell; sprinkle with the cheese and pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake the quiche until puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes; (cover pie crust edges to prevent overbrowning).
- Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.
4/8/2914 Update - I just noticed that the ingredients list says "one BAKED 9" pie crust. " That should read "One UNBAKED 9" pie crust".<br/><br/>original review - <br/>Yum! I ate this at room temperature. I used frozen broccoli florets, which I had on hand. Before assembling the quiche, I made the broccoli according to the package directions. When they were done, I gave them a quick rough chop to get the broccoli pieces in a more manageable size. I like the little bit of heat the pinch of red pepper flakes gives the quiche.