Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995, this recipe makes a comforting soup. Instead of the chicken broth & water, a similar measure of my own Chicken Broth Supreme!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs broccoli
- 1⁄2 lb potato, red, unpeeled, diced
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups low-fat milk (1%)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresnly ground
- 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, minced
- In large saucepan, combine broccoli, potato, onion & diluted broth.
- Cover & bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low & cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk milk into the flour. Add milk mixture to soup, along with tarragon, thyme, salt & pepper.
- Stirring constantly, cook until mixture comes to a boil & is thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls & sprinkle each with some cheese, then top with minced bell pepper.
Very healthy, filling and delish soup overflowing with flavour! I did not add the full amount of broccoli because I was worried it would be too 'broccoli' but I am sure that the soup can handle the full amount. Made for Gimme 5 Tag.
Loved this soup! Very tasty with the tarragon and thyme, and quick to make with ingredients I always have on hand. I used cheddar jack and left out the onions. Great quick lunch or light dinner - thanks for sharing the recipe!
You will never miss the fat in this soup. Enjoyed how quick and healthy this soup was. The tarragon really helps this dish shine. Made using fat free cheddar. Thanks so much for the post.