Recipe by Debbwl
A pretty vegetable combination that features broccoli and pearl onions in a sweet and sour sherry sauce.
Top Review by mersaydees
Wild and delicious way to serve broccoli! The only substituion I made was raisins for currants as I couldn't find any in my pantry. Thanks, Debbwl! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim tough ends from broccoli stalks. Cut broccoli heads crosswise into 3 inch lengths. Cut stalks lenghtwise into 1/3 inch thick lices. Cut flowerets in half if they are thicker than 1 1/2 inches, leave smaller flowerets whole.
- In a large 6 quart pan cook broccoli, uncovered, in about 3 quarts boiling water just until barely tender when pierced (about 5 to 6 minutes). Drain well and arrange in shallow 4 quart casserole. Keep warm.
- While broccoli cooks blend cornstarch into 1 1/3 cups cold water, set aside.
- Wipe pan dry and add onions and oil Cook over high heat, shaking pan often, until onions are browned (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Remove onions and set aside. Keep warm.
- In pan bring sherry, broth, vinegar, sugar, and currants to boil. Boil uncovered until mixture is reduced to 1 1/3 cups (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in cornstarch mixture; bring to boil, stirring. Season to taste with salt.
- Stir onions into hot sauce; Pour over broccoli.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.