Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has been in my files for a long time. Maybe you will enjoy it.
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cups broccoli, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb pasta, short chunky (like small shells)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a covered pot of water to a boil for cooking the pasta.
- Meanwhile, combine the garlic, onions, and oil in a soup pot and sauté on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions start to caramelize.
- Add the wine or water and stir well.
- Cook until the liquid evaporates, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes, broccoli, water, and salt.
- Cover and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- When the pasta water boils, add the pasta and cook al dente, 8 to 10 minutes,
- Drain, and set aside.
- When the broccoli is tender, puree about 1/3 of the soup mixture in a blender until smooth and return it to the soup pot.
- Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Add a little water if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Top with grated cheese and serve.