Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Broccoli and cheese, a great combination. You can prepare this dish ahead of time and bake it later. An excellent tasting pasta dish. Enjoy! (Prep time does not include cooking the pasta)
Top Review by Mymble
Really delicious - more delicious than it looked or than I expected. Everything really worked together. I used one portabello cap for the mushrooms, and 1% milk. I sliced in some pre-cooked italian-style chicken sausage, but it really didn't add anything. I think I might try making it with tuna another time (just to round it out - not because it needs it). I also might try making the white sauce on the stovetop, rather than having to pop the bowl in and out of the microwave. Thanks for posting this! There were no leftovers.
- 8 ounces large spiral shaped pasta
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh broccoli, cut into small floweretts any amount
- fresh mushrooms, sliced, any amount desired
- grated swiss cheese or cheddar cheese, to cover top of casserole
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: drain broccoli and mushrooms very well.
- Steam broccoli until tender-firm.
- Slice mushrooms, set aside.
- Cook pasta until tender-firm, drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, melt butter in microwave; mix in flour, stir in milk. Heat in microwave pausing to stir occasionally until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, nutmeg, thyme and cheddar cheese; stir.
- Return drained pasta to a large pot, add cheese mixture, cooked broccoli and mushrooms; mix well.
- Pour into greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Note: if refrigerated before baking, bake 5-10 minutes longer.