Pasta, vegetables and cheese are a classic combination but the trick is to use a good sharp cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ounce pine nuts, toasted (optional)
For the cheese sauce
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F
- 2First make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan and stirring in the flour.
- 3Cook for about 1 minute then remove from the heat. Whisk in the milk a little at a time until the sauce is smooth.
- 4Bring to the boil and continue cooking for a further minute or until the sauce has thickened, stirring all the time.
- 5Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and half the grated cheese until melted and smooth. Season to taste.
- 6Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the pack instructions. About 5 minutes before the pasta is ready add the broccoli florets to the pan. Drain the pasta and broccoli together and shake off excess water, arrange in a 2 litre gratin dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- 7To toast the pine kernels place on a baking tray under a hot preheated broiler, until just starting to change colour. Sprinkle the top of the bake with the toasted pine kernels and remaining cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with a crisp green salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli and Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.6
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 431.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard