Recipe by Caroline Cooks
A change from the beloved Broccoli-Rice and Cheddar Cheese casserole. From Cooking Light, modified.
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 lbs.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- black pepper
- 6 melba toast
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes until crisp tender; drain well.
- Place flour, salt and dry mustard in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add milk and chicken broth, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and add cheddar cheese and 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in pimientos, mushrooms, if using, and pepper.
- Add broccoli, tossing to coat.
- Sppon broccoli mixture into a prepared 9" baking dish.
- Place garlic melba toast rounds in food processor, pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Combine crumbs and remaining Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Spray top lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F or until bubbly.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.