Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this for all our family gatherings. There is never anything left. It can be made ahead.
- 1 lb fresh broccoli
- 3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook broccoli until tender crisp.
- Cook onions in boiling salted water: drain.
- In a saucepan melt half the marg; blend in flour salt and pepper.
- Add milk and cook stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and blend in cheese until smooth.
- Place vegetables in casserole.
- Pour sauce mixture over and mix lightly.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Melt remaining marg and toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40- 45 minutes.
Very, very tasty!! I omitted the bread crumbs on top, and just baked it with the shredded cheese, and it was still good.
This was good but I thought it was a bit bland. I think next time I'd add more shredded cheese to the mix and maybe a little garlic. I would make it again but I think I'd like to add a little more seasoning. Thanks!
Very, very good. I used Italian breadcrumbs and added some garlic seasoning, too. It got rave reviews. Thanks for the recipe.