Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Most of the time broccoli is cooked or steamed. I've seldom been offered this extremely nutritious vegetable as a salad. This one is brimming with goodness!
- 1 lb firm fresh broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned fresh, sliced button mushroom
- 1 small onion, cleaned and diced (about 4 oz/120 g)
- 3 hardboiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed green olive, halved
- 4 ounces salted cashews or 4 ounces almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise, into which you whip
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard, of your taste
- Combine all the salad ingredients.
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard.
- In a salad bowl, blend the dressing gently with the salad ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning -- this is a question of personal taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
As a broccoli lover, I have to say this recipe is really delicious! I made as written and would not change a thing when I make it again. However, if you like your cashews crunchy, I would suggest not adding them to the recipe until serving time. This makes a beautiful salad and would make a wonderful addition to any meal or gathering. Thanks so much for sharing, Zurie!
What a great salad. I did blanch the broccoli for 2-3 minutes and then put it into an ice bath rather than prepare it raw. Other than that I made no changes. It's attractive, varied in texture, and the flavors enhance each other nicely.