Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
This easy to make, low fat soup is suitable for vegetarians & diabetics alike and freezes well. Recipe Courtesy of Australian Good Taste magazine. After blending the soup, the recipe says to transfer it to a clean saucpan to heat through, but I don't see the point of involving any more dishes than absolutely nesessary and would just return in to the same pot. :)
Top Review by DancesInGarden
I also did not make the croutons. This soup was easy and quite tastey. I made it as written, except for subbing a swirl of thick soy milk and a squeeze of lemon to my bowl in place of sour cream (I am vegan). Very good!
- 2 slices thick whole meal bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 600 g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preaheat oven to 200degC. Place the bread cubes on a baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Bake, turning once, for 10 mins or until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and spray with olive oil spray.
- Add the leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until aromatic.
- Add the potato and stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for 5 mins or until the broccoli is tender.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the mixture into a blender along with the parsley and basil and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan and stir over med-low heat until heated through.
- Ladle soup among serving bowls and top with sour cream and croutons, season with salt and pepper and serve.