Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another yummy find from Good Taste magazine!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 liter water
- 1 low-sodium vegetable bouillon cube, crumbled
- 600 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 75 g low-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Place the bread cubes on a baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Bake, turning once, for 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the potato, water and stock cube to the leek mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender, set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the broccoli mixture, parsley and basil in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back into a saucepan, stir over heat until heated through.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls, top with croutons and sour cream. Season with pepper and serve.
Nice fresh broccoli taste.
Aussie Swap#35 - Outstanding!! Made this for Christmas eve dinner as a side - it was a definite hit!
I love soup and this one was very good. Used a large baking potato, vegetable broth, and dried parsley and basil. Fresh flavors, crunchy croutons, and a bit of tart from the sour cream. Thank you Chickee for posting this yummy soup recipe. Made and reviewed for the Aussie/NewZealand Recipe Swap #34.