Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This can be a main course or a side dish at something more extravagant.
- 88.74 ml butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- 118.29 ml grated swiss cheese
- 453.59 g broccoli, trimmed, cooked in boiling, salted water until just tender, and chopped coarse, about 4 1/4 cups
- 141.74 g cooked ham, chopped
- 236.59 ml coarse dry breadcrumbs
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until scalding.
- Take off heat.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tlbsps butter over moderately-low heat and saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes more.
- Add the heated milk in a stream, whisking, and simmer it, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses and season to taste.
- Keep stirring just until the cheeses are melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- In a well-buttered 14 inch gratin dish, combine the broccoli and ham and pour sauce over.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top, dot with remaining 2 tblsps butter and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 30 minutes, or until it is browned and bubbly.
I'll admit it. I'm a broccoli-phobe. I must say though that this dish is DELICIOUS!! The sauce is paired perfectly with the broccoli & ham and not allowing either flavor to overpower the dish. I wouldn't change a thing about it. DH loved it as well. Two thumbs way up!!
Great! I doubled the recipe and used some extra cubed ham (I had lots to use up). I sauteed some onion in thye butter before I made the roux. This is the first time that I've seen the 15-month-old go crazy over broccoli and feed himself pieces of broccoli! I'll make this again. Thanx!
We enjoyed this dish. I used dry Italian flavored bread crumbs. They were too dry - next time I'd use grated day old bread. We thought the dish was even better the next day.