Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is an easy, colorful salad that is great to serve as a side dish for sandwiches, BBQs, etc. To keep the broccoli a bright green color, add the dressing just before serving
- 12 ounces bite-size broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- Loosely mound broccoli on a steamer rack over 1 inch of boiling water in a 2-3 quart pan; cover and steam over high heat until broccoli is barely tender when pierced, about 5 minutes; rinse broccoli with cold water, drain well, and pat dry with paper towels.
- While broccoli is cooking, prepare dressing: in a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, chives, garlic and mustard; whisk to blend well; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add broccoli, red pepper, and half of the cheese to dressing; mix lightly to coat well with dressing.
- Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining cheese and serve immediately.
Nice change for the broccoli salad. Next time might add some orange segments.
This salad was a delicious change. I didn't have any sunflower seeds so I used blanched, slivered almonds and toasted them lightly in a fry pan. I only had a small green pepper so I used that instead of the red. As there was only two of us eating this,I cooked the whole head of broccoli the day before and made something else with half of it. Prior to serving this I warmed the broccoli lightly on the defrost cycle of my microwave 10 seconds at a time (a technique I use often on most cooked meats and vegetables) so that it didn't become overcooked. I then proceeded with the recipe as stated.