Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from my "Irish Cooking" cookbook.
- 4 large baking potatoes (6 to 8 oz. each)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pierce potatoes several times with fork. Place in microwave oven on paper towel. Microwave on HIGH 15 minutes or just until softened. Wrap in paper towels; let stand 5 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add broccoli. Cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain. Add milk, cottage cheese, mustard and red pepper flakes to broccoli in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; remove from heat.
- Combine 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and flour in medium bowl. Toss to coat cheese with flour; add to broccoli mixture. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is thickened.
- Cut potatoes open. Divide broccoli mixture evenly among potatoes. Sprinkle with remainig 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
WOW. . .this is creamy and sinful! I actually rubbed my potatoes in oil and then sprinkled some salt on them. . .375 degrees for 1 hour. I did add some extra heavy cream to the cheese sauce to thin it out a bit. I used manchego with great results. I also added some Spike all purpose seasoning for a bit more flavor. Great stuff.