Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the best Freezer cookbook. A simple stuffed potato.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash potatoes and poke holes in then with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour or until soft.
- While potatoes are baking, cook broccoli. Either bring some salted water, about 1/2 c., to a boil and cook on stove top or cook in microwave for about 2-3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Drain broccoli in a colander.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and let cool until you can handle them.
- Cut each potato in half. Scoop out pulp leaving about 1/4" shell.
- Place cooked potato pulp in a medium bowl and mash. Mix in the sour cream until smooth.
- Add broccoli, green onion, 1 cup of the cheese, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Scoop back into the potatoes, slightly mounding on top.
- Allow to cool. Place potatoes on a large baking sheet and place in freezer. When firm, move to a large freezer bag or wrap individually in saran and then place in freezer bag. Place remaining 1/3 c.cheese in a small freezer bag and attach to the larger bag of potatoes.
- To serve:.
- Thaw in fridge.
- place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until hot. Sprinkle with reserved cheese the last 5 minutes of baking.
- These can also be heated in the microwave.
We really enjoyed these stuffed potatoes. Love the combo of broccoli & cheese with just a hint of spice from the cayenne.