Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was found in the 2009 Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook. I've tweaked it slightly to make sure it suits the eating habits of my vegetarian son & DIL!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb broccoli, stems thinly sliced & florets cut small
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add onion & cook 5 minutes or until softened, stirring often.
- Add garlic, thyme & lemon pepper, cooking another minute while stirring.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly until flour is incorporated.
- Slowly add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to blend.
- Add broccoli & cook 10 minutes or until tender.
- Carefully transfer 1/2 to 3/4 of the hot mixture to a blender (depending on how chunky or smooth you want the finished soup) & blend until smooth, then, in the saucepan, reincorporate the blended mixture with that which wasn't blended.
- Add cream & cheese & warm over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, ladle into serving bowls & enjoy!
My daughter requested broccoli cheese soup for her special birthday dinner. I made the recipe as written except for using chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth. We all loved the addition of the lemon pepper (something I did not think I would care for) however; 3 out of the 4 kids noticed after one bite that it was not my normal broccoli cheese soup...which I did not think they would pick up on. (the only difference other then the lemon pepper is I usual cook down a little chopped carrot & celery with the onion, and I thicken my soup with a corn starch slurry at the end instead of flour in the beginning.) Made and reviewed for the 56th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
Really good soup! I loved the twist of the addition of lemon pepper! I used a gluten free thickener instead of the all-purpose flour due to dietary needs of those eating, and used chopped frozen broccoli. It was much enjoyed, and leftovers reheated well. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! I used frozen broccoli and chicken broth to make this and loved the end result. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.