Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
You can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this delightful English recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 lb broccoli floret
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 15 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 10 fluid ounces milk
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- red pepper, diced,to garnish
- Fry the onion and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree until smooth, add milk and reheat without boiling.
- Stir in half the cheese, garnish with the remaining cheese and red pepper and serve with hard rolls.
This is a great hardy soup recipe. My husband and I like this one with a loaf of homemade bread and a bowl of soup for dinner. Very satisfying
This soup seriously rocked! I did change one major thing though; I left out the milk. Having pureed the soup prior to the milk-adding part I tasted it and it was delicious and 'creamy'. Adding the milk would only have diluted it. The potato, once pureed, added the creamy factor and the real butter added the lovely mouth-feel. Once the cheese was in, I added seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Thumbs up from the kids too.
This soup tasted more like broccoli and potato soup than broccoli and cheese soup (even though I added double the cheese recommended). I substituted the vegetable stock with chicken broth and I only had 1/2 an onion so I used 1/2 onion and 1/2 tsp onion powder. It's also missing salt and pepper. This recipe is more than 2-3 servings if you serve it with a sandwich (It's more like 6 servings).