Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great and delicious way to get more veggies onto the table without anyone noticing LOL ! I think this would be great with others veggies too, like carrots or cauliflower. You can also add some milk or cream if it looks too dry. This is from Rachel Ray, I serve these with her pork cutlets which I have also posted. Hope you enjoy!
- Halve the potatoes and add to a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes while you trim and chop broccoli into 1/2-inch dice.
- Add the broccoli to the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Drain and return to the hot pot to dry.
- Stir in the milk, butter and cheese and mash until the cheese melts into potatoes and broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
I guess this side dish didn't wow us as it did the others who reviewed this recipe. My husband and I thought it was ok! While one reviewer stated they couldn't taste the broccoli, I on the other hand could. I did not add a cup of whole milk, as I thought it would of made this dish quite soupy. I just added 4 tablespoons of heavy cream, but perhaps 3 tablespoons would of been enough. I also used 2 cups of the shredded cheese, to give this dish more cheese flavor. I added 1-3/4 cups to mash in, then topped the side dish with the remaining 1/4 cup. I found this dish definitely needed salt to give it more flavor.
I do agree that this is a great way to sneak veggies into a meal, especially for my husband who hates broccoli, but I love broccoli and I just couldn't taste it in this dish at all. To me just regular mashed creamed potatoes. Substantial though.
Really really good!!! i loved it! Made for ZWT6 and the Looney Spoon Phoodies!