Recipe by Scoutie
A great and delicious way to get more veggies onto the table without anyone noticing LOL ! I think this would be great with others veggies too, like carrots or cauliflower. You can also add some milk or cream if it looks too dry. This is from Rachel Ray, I serve these with her pork cutlets which I have also posted. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
I guess this side dish didn't wow us as it did the others who reviewed this recipe. My husband and I thought it was ok! While one reviewer stated they couldn't taste the broccoli, I on the other hand could. I did not add a cup of whole milk, as I thought it would of made this dish quite soupy. I just added 4 tablespoons of heavy cream, but perhaps 3 tablespoons would of been enough. I also used 2 cups of the shredded cheese, to give this dish more cheese flavor. I added 1-3/4 cups to mash in, then topped the side dish with the remaining 1/4 cup. I found this dish definitely needed salt to give it more flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small potatoes (recommended -- Yukon gold)
- 1 small head broccoli
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the potatoes and add to a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes while you trim and chop broccoli into 1/2-inch dice.
- Add the broccoli to the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Drain and return to the hot pot to dry.
- Stir in the milk, butter and cheese and mash until the cheese melts into potatoes and broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.