Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
from the big book of vegetarian but might be good with some added chicken or ham.
- 283.49 g package frozen broccoli, thawed, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
- 283.49 g prepared refrigerated pizza dough
- 3 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 118.29 ml part-skim ricotta cheese
- 118.29 ml crumbled gorgonzola or 118.29 ml other blue cheese
- 118.29 ml packed grated Fontina cheese
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml marinara sauce (I use roasted garlic flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 425. In a med bowl, mix the broccoli, green onions, ricotta, gorgonzola, parmesan and fontina. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a large baking sheet with flour. Unfold the dough and gently stretch and/or roll the dough to an 11-inch square; cut the dough in half diagonally, forming 2 triangles. Place half of the filling in the center of each traingle. Fold one side of each triangle over the filling, forming 2 triangle calzones. Press the edges of the dough to seal. Cut 3 slits in the top of each to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the calzones for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot with marinara poured on top or on the side to dip.
When I made this I didn't have any marinara on hand and it was still scrumptious. Also, in my "use what you have" campaign to help lighten the grocery costs I used cream cheese, mozzarella and parm cheeses. The pizza dough was a homemade whole wheat with garlic and herbs creation. It all came together deliciously. This is something I'll make again.
Made this as written, omitting the onions. Made for a nice addition to dinner tonight. Enjoyed the various chheses, with the broccoli. A meal that we enjoyed. Made 2 and cut in half for the 4 of us. Served with recipe#281445#281445. Made`for I Recommend.