Recipe by Manami
This savory pudding brings comfort home for Friday nights. :) Individual sized portions make serving a cinch. Great for company-style meals or maybe a luncheon! Country Living Magazine. UPDATE: 10/22/2009 - we made this the other evening with low-fat cream cheese and sour cream & I increased the cheddar cheese to 2 1/4 cups with a bit of sharp-cheddar thrown in. :)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 10 ounces medium egg noodles
- 2 yellow onions, grated (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (use mild if desired)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 ºF.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the salt and the carrot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and cook 1 more minute, transfer vegetables to ice water, let cool, and drain.
- Bring the pot of water back to a rolling boil, add the noodles, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Strain and cool under cold running water.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except 1/2 cup cheddar, in a large bowl; add the broccoli, carrots, and noodles, and gently toss.
- Pour the noodle mixture into a 3-quart casserole or eight 8-ounce dishes; top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pudding and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
- Let the pudding cool for 10 minutes before serving.