Recipe by Eve in England
I originally got this recipe from a cookbook simply titled "Soup". A few modifications have been made from the original recipe over time. The fresh tarragon really makes this soup come alive. Please don't substitute dried tarragon in place of fresh. It just wouldnt be as tasty. Enjoy !
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 ounces carrots, chopped
- 4 ounces scallions, chopped
- 4 ounces onions, chopped
- 4 ounces celery, chopped
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped. Florets and stalks kept separate
- 1⁄2 lb cauliflower, chopped. Florets and stalks kept separate
- fine ground pepper
- 5 ears corn on the cob, kernels shaved off
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 7 fluid ounces cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large pan over moderate heat, add the carrot, scallions, celery and onion. Cover and sweat for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the flour and stir it in until well incorporated. Meanwhile, heat up the stock in a separate pan.
- Whisk in the vegitable stock. Then addthe broccoli and cauliflower stalks and fine ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, then blend in a food processor or blender.
- Return the soup to the pan over heat. Add the corn and the broccoli and cauliflour florets, simmer for 5-10 minutes. Finally, add the herbs and cream and salt to taste, bring up to temperature and serve.