Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is comfort food at it's best!( especially when it's icy cold and the wind is howling.) Easy, quick, and good for you. Even the most manly men like this recipe...=)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed and rough chopped
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (18 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Heat oil in a large soup pot Add onions and celery and cook until tender Add cauliflower and broccoli and cook for five minutes stirring occasionally S& P to taste Add 3 cans of broth and cook for 15 minutes until veggies are cooked through Do not cover (and your cauliflower won’t have a strong “cabbagey” smell) Mash veggies with a potato masher until in small pieces Add thyme, last can of broth and one can evaporated milk This soup may be made “richer” by omitting the last can of broth and adding two cans of evaporated milk. If you do, be sure not to boil. Treat as you would any cream soup/stew/chowder.
Loved the flavor and color of this soup. I made it as directed except I subbed fat free half and half for the evaporated milk as I had some that needed to be used. I believe the list of ingredients should state 4 cans of broth rather than one. My only problem with this soup is the texture. I ended up trying to improve it by putting it in the food processor but it remained "gritty", for lack of a better word. Even so I'd make it again, the flavor is that good.