Chef Edlear's Note:
This is daughter #2's favorite way to eat cruciferous vegetables! The barest minimum of water is used to help retain the maximum nutrients. This is not a "pretty" dish, the vegetables turn a sort of smeary-beige looking, but the flavor is there. We like this wrapped in aloo parathas with steamed brown basmati on the side. Vary the quantity of red pepper flakes and salt to your tastes, we adjust them depending on who's coming to dinner! This is a variation of a recipe from the 30 - Minute Vegetarian Indian Cookbook, one of our favorite resources.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups bite sized cauliflower florets
- 2 1/2 cups bite sized broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1Mix together the besan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garam masala, cumin, coriander and red pepper flakes, set aside.
- 2Heat the oil over a low flame and saute the garlic until soft but not brown.
- 3Add the cauliflower and broccoli and increase the heat a bit. Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- 4Reduce the heat back to low and sprinkle on the reserved spice blend. Cover the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes. Don't peak! This step will release the moisture from the vegetables, you don't want to lose it.
- 5Sprinkle about a tablespoon of water on the vegetables and toss around a little until they look coated with the besan/spice mix. Resist the temptation to add too much water.
- 6Cover the pan as quickly as possible and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender but firm, 2-3 minutes. This is the point at which I add in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt or not, depending on who is home for dinner.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli and Cauliflower Coated With Spiced Chickpea Flour
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 615.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g