Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This creamy side dish will go great with any entree and makes a lovely presentation.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs frozen broccoli and cauliflower
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower and cook just until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Add milk to the vegetable liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Turn vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat and lightly saute garlic, but do not brown it.
- Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in milk mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower.
- Dot with remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika and sprinkle over vegetables.
- Bake at 450° for about 20 minutes, until casserole is bubbly.
Easy and so yummy! I made it for last minute dinner guests tonight and everyone raved about it!
Served this as part of my New Year's Eve feast, most said it was good, one complaint was that there is too much sauce(like the other reviewer). Flavor was good though.
This was a nice change from other cauliflower recipes. I improvised a bit, skipped the breadcrumbs, used lots of cheddar cheese on top since I didn't have parmesan. I thought there was too much sauce for the vegetables so I'll probably cut that down (and the amount of butter) next time around. I added garlic powder as well, but the dish was still lacking something for me. Some cheese in the actual sauce would be a great idea. Thanks!