Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
This colorful steamed broccoli side dish is loaded with vitamin C! If you don't have a steamer basket, improvise with a metal colander to prepare this healthy vegetable dish. I have played with this recipe to suit my tastes, but originally found it in BH&G.
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into flowerets
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 yellow sweet pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place broccoli and pepper in a steamer basket over simmering water.
- Steam, covered, for 8 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Arrange on a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt the butter.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over broccoli mixture.
Bev, this is such a colorful and delicious side dish! I could make a meal of it. I used butter, since I don't care for margarine. I used red pepper (my favorite), and since I had cauliflower and broccoli to use up, I had a medley. Simply wonderful and loaded with good nutrients! Thanks for this recipe. : )
This was very easy to prepare, had lots of colors and the flavors mixed together very well. I didn't use margerine, though. I used good ol' fashioned butter and it worked fine. I like the fact that there was no salt in the recipe. This will be something that I will make time and time again. Thanks for the recipe, Bev!
I really enjoyed this broccoli and peppers recipe... the husband and the kids liked it, but not as well as I did. It was easy to make and presents beautifully on the table. I used real butter (unsalted).