Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
A delicious and tasy mid-week meal. Sourced from taste.com.au but I have used cheese sauce to bind it rather than their suggestion of 1 cup cream and 2 eggs beaten togetherTo me that sounded rather too rich and fat ladden.
Top Review by Irmgard
I made this recipe to use up a few things in the fridge - leftover cooked broccoli, 1/2 cup whipping cream, a handful of grated cheddar, a few slices of bacon. It smelled divine while cooking and tasted wonderful. Instead of making a cream sauce, I blended the 1/2 cup of cream with 1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites and mixed the grated cheddar into the pasta mixture before spreading it in the baking dish. I then topped the casserole with a couple handfuls of nacho blend cheese. It was so good! I have leftovers for another couple of meals, since it's just the two of us. Can't wait to try it reheated!
- 300 g pasta shells
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, small and chopped
- 350 g broccoli
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese sauce
- 50 g cheese, grated for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the packet. Drain and return to pan.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook until soft and lightly browned.
- Break the broccoli into small florets. Cook the broccoli and peas in a steamer until tender.
- Gently mix together the broccoli, bacon, onion, peas and cheese sauce. Spread into a 2 litre ovenproof dish . Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until golden. About 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a salad if desired.