Recipe by Kaarin
Very creamy and a little cheesy. Great way to get kids to eat broccoli! This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This was a very fast and easy recipe. I added about 3 cloves garlic, reduced the butter to about 2 tablespoons, sprinkled liberally with salt and mixed with 8 ounces fettucini. I used whole milk, and the results were very creamy and delicious. Although I could see why some people might prefer half-and-half, I wouldn't because I don't like the extra fat. I steamed the broccoli over the pasta while it was cooking. In 5 minutes it was tender but still very green in color. Great recipe!
- 1 (8 -12 ounce) package pasta (I use fettucine or rotini)
- 2 -3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, shredded (or parmesan)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender, but still crisp, about 5 minutes, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil, and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and broccoli.
- Toss with the pasta to coat.