Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very creamy and a little cheesy. Great way to get kids to eat broccoli! This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli in this.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender, but still crisp, about 5 minutes, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil, and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and broccoli.
- Toss with the pasta to coat.
This was a very fast and easy recipe. I added about 3 cloves garlic, reduced the butter to about 2 tablespoons, sprinkled liberally with salt and mixed with 8 ounces fettucini. I used whole milk, and the results were very creamy and delicious. Although I could see why some people might prefer half-and-half, I wouldn't because I don't like the extra fat. I steamed the broccoli over the pasta while it was cooking. In 5 minutes it was tender but still very green in color. Great recipe!
I loved this recipe. I also added 2 cloves of garlic and should have added a third. I added grilled chicken to this dish and my whole family loved it. Will definitly be making this again.
Kids love it! I actually puree my broccolli after steaming and incorporate in the sauce before pouring over the noodles...for the kids sake. Great way to get them to eat up their veggies. I do add garlic as others have suggested and am very liberal with the salt otherwise it is kinda bland. It is a great starter recipe that you could add all kinds of things to...sauteed onions, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, cubed ham, whatever you'd like. Definetely a staple in my house!