Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of the best pasta dishes I know. It's simple and loaded with flavour. You can omit the bread crumbs for a less-robust dish. Use Parmesan if the saltier Pecorino is not available.
- 12 ounces orecchiette
- 6 cups broccoflower or 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, chopped (an Italian cured meat)
- 2 tablespoons slivered garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup toasted breadcrumb
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Chop broccoflower into small florets discarding any tough stems.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add orrechiette and return to boil.
- Add florets and cook two minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium-low heat.
- Add pancetta and fry for three minutes or until beginning to crisp.
- Add garlic and chili flakes and cook one minute or until garlic is tinged with gold.
- Add broccoflower and cook together until flavours meld, about two minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cook for another two minutes.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese when serving.