Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make these for friends, families, teachers...whoever. They will all ask for the recipe... or give you that, "what..no brittle?!?" look. I promise!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces roasted salted peanuts or 12 ounces cashews or 12 ounces pistachios, and or 12 ounces pecans
- crushed sea salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, butter and corn syrup and bring to a boil.
- Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is light brown and registers 300° on a candy thermometer, 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the baking soda. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the nuts, then immediately scrape the brittle onto a large rimmed, nonstick baking sheet.
- Using the back of a large spoon (oil it lightly if it sticks), spread the brittle into a thin, even layer.
- Sprinkle with salt. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break the brittle into large shards.
- The brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.