Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from The Willows by Gourmet Magazine. This recipe makes about 40 large cookies. This recipe also works well with natural creamy peanut butter or the conventional peanut butters.
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 1 1⁄3 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter, peanut butter, sugars and oil with an electric mixer at high speed just until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes in a stand mixer or longer with a hand held. Add whole eggs, yolks and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Reduce speed to low then add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until well incorporated.
- Scoop scant 1/4 cups of dough about 2 inches apart onto 2 ungreased large baking sheets. Flatten mounds with floured tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern, into 2 1/2 inch cookies, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until slightly puffed and golden around edges, about 30 minutes total. Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Switch an oven rack to middle position and make more cookies with remaining dough on a cooled baking sheet.
- Note: Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.