Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
Adapted from The Willows by Gourmet Magazine. This recipe makes about 40 large cookies. This recipe also works well with natural creamy peanut butter or the conventional peanut butters.
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 1 1⁄3 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together butter, peanut butter, sugars and oil with an electric mixer at high speed just until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes in a stand mixer or longer with a hand held. Add whole eggs, yolks and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Reduce speed to low then add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until well incorporated.
- Scoop scant 1/4 cups of dough about 2 inches apart onto 2 ungreased large baking sheets. Flatten mounds with floured tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern, into 2 1/2 inch cookies, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until slightly puffed and golden around edges, about 30 minutes total. Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
- Switch an oven rack to middle position and make more cookies with remaining dough on a cooled baking sheet.
- Note: Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.