Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Great stew. Could even be fancy enough for company...
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 slices bacon (chopped)
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (chunked)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups hard alcoholic cider
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken stock
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 lb beet
- 28 shallots (peeled)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Soak beans 8 hours.
- Drain. Rinse.
- Place in a pot. Cover with 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce. Simmer 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oven 350.
- Heat butter and oil in a dutch oven.
- Add the bacon and chicken. Saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Add the cider, stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans. Cover. Bake 2 hours.
- Wrap beets in foil. Bake 1 1/2 hours in oven with casserole.
- Remove. Let cool. Peel. Chunk.
- Colmbine shallots with honey in a deep skillet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beets.
- Place on plates. Top with chicken mix.