Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 lbs mixed fish, cleaned (Flounder, mackerel, cod, or haddock)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large onions, peeled, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled,in 1/4s
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups water
- French bread (crusty)
- 2 medium bay leaves
- Cut fish into chunks of equal size.
- Saute onions and garlic in heated butter or margarine in a large kettle until tender.
- Add potatoes, water, bay leaves, thyme marjoram, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add prepared fish and lower heat to moderate.
- Cook, covered, about 25 minutes, until fish and potatoes are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Put slices of bread in wide soup plates.
- Ladle broth over bread.
- Serve fish and potatoes separately on a platter.